Wednesday, July 2, 2014

When Fate Steps In

I am still coming down from my Disney high and trying to re-energize myself from two extremely hectic weeks of travel. The kink in my neck is getting worse and I think I now have a jaw issue from clenching it so often. Travel=stress. 

That being said, the last thing we did at Disney was watch the Magic Kingdom firework show, "Wishes". Obviously, the show is based around the premise of wishes coming true and well, you know the rest. They play an incredibly corny song that I love and may or may not know all of the words to. But really, at this point are you surprised? One of the lines I've always loved from "When You Wish Upon a Star" is "Fate is kind, she brings to those who love." Which brings me to the point of this post; there are a lot of things that are not so great about Disney, but like I've said before, their songs and their movies hold every lesson a child could hope to learn. And regardless of the fact that I grew up with Disney as a staple in my life, I always forget about fate.

So, what of fate? What of wishing?

We'd all be kidding ourselves if we denied wishing on a star in a moment of desperation. Or maybe you do it on the reg, which is fine too. I definitely have my nights where I find myself wishing and hoping and praying that something will change-- that when I wake up after the sun rises and the night's passed, something will be different. There's kind of this preconceived notion that at the end of your life, you'll find that nothing was random. There was a reason for every little thing that happened to you, and that every little thing that has happened to you led you to where you were meant to be. And if that's the case, then what's with all the wishing?

I am a huge wisher. When the clock strikes 11:11, I wish. When I see a shooting star, I wish. When I walk under a bent or broken tree, I wish. I wish so often sometimes I feel like I'm wishing my life away. I don't think there's anything wrong with wishing, but when you're wishing so often for things to happen to you, then what are you missing out on?

Fate is kind. She does bring to those who love. To those who love the life they lead, to those who love their family, their friends, to those who love the environment that surrounds them, to those who love their job, their co-workers, the hand that feeds them, to those who love those who have passed, and to those who love the memories that have been instilled into their minds over the years. To those who love, love. It seems silly, I know. But that doesn't mean it's not completely and totally true.

I'm a firm believer in doing all things with love, no matter how hard it may be. At the end of each day, you should be striving to send yourself down a path where love is most abundant. Self-love, love for your family and friends, love for your values and your aspirations. You should be striving to send yourself down a path where wishing on stars becomes less of a habit and more of a special occasion.

The point is, every time I saw myself going down a path that I knew in my heart wasn't right, I caught myself (or someone did, anyways). I didn't really realize it until now, but while I still wish often, now it's less about myself and more about others. I don't wish for a better life, or a better body, or a boyfriend, or anything really. If I ever find myself wishing it's almost always for someone I care about. Someone I love. Fate and wishing go hand in hand, but it's when you learn to let go of wishing that fate really steps in. When you trust yourself, and trust your instincts, trust that where you are is where you're meant to be, then fate really does take care of the rest.

I think when our time is up we will find that nothing really was by chance, that there was always a plan for us. Wishing upon stars is okay every once in a while, but trust that when your wishes don't come true, fate has a plan to step in and point you in the direction your meant to go. If you do all things with love, then fate, well, she'll be good to you.

xoxo

No comments: