Monday, February 24, 2014

Actions Speak Louder than Words

When I'm getting ready to write these posts, I often turn to the quotes page on Pinterest. If I'm being honest, as of late I've been lacking some serious inspiration when it comes to writing. I'm not sure why but I just haven't been feeling like myself lately. I think I'm longing so much for spring that it's become this constant gray cloud hanging over my head.

I've also been questioning my actions more lately, more so than I usually do. And I've kind of been finding, less is more. Say what you need to say, if it really needs to be said, and if it's going to help you to feel better. But if it's not going to help you to feel better or resolve a problem, then must you really say it?

In high school, and even in the past few years, I've been really good at speaking my mind. I've made a huge effort to be honest with myself, my family, and my friends.

Lately though, I've been thinking. What if there's a point where honesty is no longer beneficial? I know it all depends on the situation. Not every case is the same. The older I've gotten though, the more I've found that actions really do speak louder than words.


People pick up on hints. People pick up on when you're ready to move on. I think we've all had friendships, relationships, and even jobs that have run their course. But when you're done, when you've reached your limit? You don't just scream out loud, "I'm done! I quit! I'm moving on!" Or at least you should try your hardest not to. (Granted, it's completely acceptable to go home and jam out to this song #noshame

There's no point in having a huge argument over nothing and ending a friendship that could have ended gracefully in such a sour manner. There's no point in hurting someone who you once loved simply because that would make ending a broken relationship much easier. There's actually no point in dramatically quitting the job you absolutely hate (recommendations, hello?!).


Make your exit with grace. Carry yourself with grace. If you do this, they'll never have anything bad to say about you. Or if they do, it will only reflect poorly on them-- not you.

I've also found as I've grown older that a lot of people will doubt you. Not as much as you doubt yourself of course, but they'll doubt you nonetheless. When you're younger, you feel like you have to make it known to everyone who questions you just what you think of them and just how wrong they are about you. Don't waste your breath. They're doubting you for a very specific reason--and that's because they doubt themselves ten times more than they doubt you.

The best way to show these people up is to act. Do not raise your voice, do not say things you will regret. Smile and laugh, act as if your life is amazing (even if it isn't). Self-curation is completely 100% appropriate. Fake it until you make it, right? Even if you do find yourself in doubt, show yourself and prove to yourself that whatever it is you wish to do, you can do. Don't make promises, because sometimes you will fail. But everything will come full circle. Fool your doubters into thinking they were wrong. And in doing so, you might just fool yourself in the process.

xoxo

1 comment:

Rosy Apparel said...

Such a cute post, love it!

rosyapparel.blogspot.co.uk