Today is my 21st birthday! My birthday has always been a favorite of mine for obvious reasons, and while in recent years it's been a little harder than usual, being alive one more year is always something to be thankful for! It's especially something to be thankful for when you can
legally drink wine! Last night I celebrated at home with my family and friends and left feeling completely blessed. My best friend who goes to school in NY kept her mouth shut all weekend without letting me know she was in town and showed up at my front door, completely casual. And I cried my eyes out. Definitely a picture perfect evening. It was a great night, and tonight I celebrate with my closest girlfriends here at home! Japanese and scorpion bowls it is!
But, as I reflected last night in bed on the past 21 years of my life, I couldn't help but stumble upon all the different things I've learned. A lot of them are things I wish I'd been told when I was younger, so I brainstormed these 21 things I've learned about life thus far.
1. Hate is heavy, for your happiness you have to let it go.
2. Burning bridges hurts no one but yourself.
3. Make time for the people who make time for you.
4. Family is everything-- make them a priority, always.
5. Never leave angry.
6. Work hard, and stay humble.
7. Speak your truth.*
8. Joy is the best make-up.
9. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
10. Dance with the boy.*
11. Love with your whole heart.*
12. It's okay if you're not okay.
13. There's always a silver lining.**
14. When worst comes to worst, a friend is only a phone call, (or if you're lucky, a room) away.
15. Always be there for those you care most about, even if it's 2am and all you want to do is sleep. You never know when you'll be needing them.
16. There's a Taylor Swift song for everything.
17. Learn to budget.
18. Call your mom.
19. Accept others for who they are, flaws and all.
20. Accept yourself for who you are, flaws and all.
21. You are beautiful, no matter what voices or people tell you otherwise, you are beautiful. Inside and out.
* These lessons have been inspired by close friends and family, two of the largest influences on all that I've learned in my life.
** This lesson is definitely from Silver Linings Playbook, because it's in my top 3 favorite movies, and "the world will break your heart ten ways to Sunday", but "you have to do everything you can, you have to work your hardest, and if you do, you have a shot at a silver lining." So yeah, to me, there's always a silver lining-- if you remember to find it.