Thursday, November 28, 2013

What Means The Most

Another Thanksgiving has come around and after the meal we just had at home I am stuffed. Aside from having a completely full stomach (that pumpkin cheesecake my mom made was impossible to resist!), I feel amazing. Each year I'm reminded of just how lucky I am, and this year is no different. 

I am so unbelievably blessed. I'm made aware practically every day by my mother just how blessed we are. And it's amazing how quickly I forget. So honestly, thank goodness for Thanksgiving because I think we all need a little reminding sometimes of just how good we have it. 

In my family, tradition has us going around the table each Thanksgiving sharing with our loved ones what we are thankful for. For the most part, what we're thankful for is pretty generic. Family, friends, our health, you get the gist. 

What I tend to overlook most often is how important my family is to me. I am not the best at keeping in touch, although I'm trying harder nowadays. I'm known to jump the gun when it comes to having arguments, and I'll be the first to reopen old wounds. It's not something I'm proud of, but I know I'm not the first to say that the ones we hurt the most are the ones we love the most. And that's because they'll always love you, no matter what.

That being said, this Thanksgiving what I'm most thankful for is my family. The past few years haven't been the easiest on us. I've learned more from my family about love, loss, and life in the past two years than I've learned in my whole twenty years. I am so impressed by the strength of my mother, so thankful to have a role model like her. Everyone says I'm her mini me, but I can only hope to turn out to be half the woman she is. My father and my brother are two hard-working men who, when it comes down to it, will do anything for their family. It's something I truly admire. I am fortunate enough to have two amazing grandfathers who are far too good to me, and a remarkably close extended family to always turn to. 

I'm also incredibly lucky to have such remarkable friends in my life. I've learned in the past year especially that who you surround yourself with is a part of what defines you. For the first time in a long time, I feel like I've found the people to keep close and I have to say I've never been happier. From what I've heard, your 20s aren't so easy so I'm glad I have people who love me to learn with me along the way. 

With Thanksgiving over, 2013 is officially coming to a close. I know there's still a month left, but I think I can safely say that this has been a life-changing year. I'm thankful that I finally feel like I'm steering myself in a direction that will bring me success in life. Success has so many definitions depending on who you are, but I hope that happiness will come with whatever success ends up meaning for me. On another note, the past two years have been the hardest years of my life. I'm thankful that this year has been a year of learning. I've learned so much about myself, and I have never felt more secure with who I am and what I want.


I'll be the first to admit that I fall prey to materialistic tendencies. Call me a princess, a diva, or whatever you wish. I think it's fantastic that people are out there who could care less about the new Kate Spade Beau Bag, but I will be coveting that bag until I finally have the money to splurge on it. That being said, what means the most at the end of every day are not how many pairs of designer jeans you have, or how full your shoe closet is (although a girl really can never have too many shoes...), what means the most is that you're surrounded by people you love. Because as far as I'm concerned, a life without love isn't a life at all. And that's really what I'm thankful for, that in a world that at times feels consumed by superficiality and hate, I live a life that blesses me every day with love.

I

No comments: