Thursday, June 12, 2014

She Loved Three Things...

Do you ever ask yourself what three things you love most in this world? They don't have to be people, they don't have to be tangible objects, they can be moments, songs, memories, feelings, and so on. But really, how often do you ask yourself what you love most about this world or about your life and role in it?

My guess is not very often.

I know we all try to count our blessings before we fall asleep, but to be honest once I hit middle school my nighttime ritual of reading the daily thought in my little kid's "Be Thankful" book that my Nana got me completely went out the window. I mean, I know we outgrow things, but I kind of really liked ending my days that way. It always made me feel hopeful for the next day, even if the past 24 hours had been a 10-year old's version of a living hell (and trust me, that doesn't take much.)

"She loved three things... a joke, a glass of wine, and a handsome man."


A joke. 

To laugh is to live right? To feel joy and comfort in the midst of close friends or family, to allow herself to be free of all her burdens for just one moment of pure happiness. Joy can easily be clouded by all the other emotions and things and people we surround ourselves with on a daily basis, but when you're with the people who know you best, laughing your butt off because of God knows what, those are the moments where you really catch on to what it truly means to be happy.

A glass of wine

She loved to let loose a bit, and not take herself (or life!) too seriously. We get caught up in life so easily that sometimes the moments wherein we realize we have everything occur after we've had a few. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.


A handsome man. 

She loved to love and be loved. I'm a hopeless romantic at heart, but at the same time an extreme realist/pessimist (call it what you will) when it comes to the dating world. It's a tough life out there! But at the end of each day, I think we're all really only hoping for one thing. To leave this earth knowing that someone who was once a stranger to you became the most important person in your life? To pass knowing that you were loved completely by someone who knew your every attribute and flaw? It's what our parents' parents wanted for them while they were growing up, it's what our parents wanted growing up as kids, it's what they want for us, and it's what we'll want for our kids.

Now, I also wrote down three things that I personally love.  It was actually a lot harder to do than I thought. I tried to make it less about the generics-- of course I'm thankful for my friends and family, and more about the moments that make me happy to be alive. Make of them what you will.

My three things...

"Goodnight, I love you."

Summer nights.

Butterflies.

What are your three things?

Happy Monday!

xoxo


1/2/3

No comments: